The proposed USDA regulations are seriously inadequate in the protection they afford to equines and plainly inconsistent with the mandate given by Congress to the USDA in the l996 Farm Bill.
No final rule making should be conducted until the glaring discrepancies between the agency's proposals and its own research findings have been addressed and serious consideration has been given to the forthcoming international guidelines for horse transport.
Transporting horses in substandard 5'7" 5'9" double decked cattle trucks should be prohibited immediately not in five years where another 500,000 horses will cruelly suffer. If the trucks are unfit in five years, they are unfit now! No less than six Eastern States have already outright prohibited them. Existing height standards of 6'6" and 7' for commercial equine transport should be non-discriminatory.
Setting water requirements at 28-32 hours is cruel and inhumane and contrary to all existing standards of equine husbandry which establish water every 4-6 hours, but never more than 12.
(Formally opposed in writing before the public input deadline)
- The California State Horseman's Association
- The New York State Horse Council
- Humane Society of the United States, HSUS
- Amer. Soc. For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ASPCA
- Director Hunter/Jumper America Horse Show Association
- National Walking Horse Association
- American Humane Association AHA
- Progressive Animal Welfare Society, PAWS
- The California Equine Council
- Equine Protection Network
- The Fund for Animals
- Equine Advocates
- Red Wings Horse Sanctuary
- New York State Humane Association
- Doris Day Animal League
- In Defense of Animals
- United Pegasus Foundation
- Animal Protection Institute
- Last Chance for Animals
- Friends of Animals
- Equus Sanctuary
- The Humane Farming Sanctuary
- Animal Legal Defense Fund
- AND 200 OTHERS
- American Horse Council
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Meat Institute (Horse Slaughter Plants)
- California Cattlemen's Association
- Bel-tex Corporation (Horse Slaughter Plant)
- Central Nebraska Packing Inc. (Horse Slaughter Plant)
- Dallas Crown Inc. (Horse Slaughter Plant)
"Keep America's horses in the stable and off the table!"
Copyright © 2002 - HOOFPAC Political Action Committee - All rights reserved.